Acid Wizard say's: Pirate us! (Piracy vs. Key Reselling)

Discussion in 'Gaming + Technology' started by Nyaaa~ ∑:3, Aug 31, 2017.

?

Piracy or Key Resellers?

1. DOUBLONS! (Piracy)

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. SHECKELS! (Key Resellers)

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Nyaaa~ ∑:3

Nyaaa~ ∑:3 Old Champion

So, while browsing random videos on Youtube, i've stumbled upon a conversation, started by a really ballsy move from Acid Wizard - Developer of the top-down horror game "Darkwood".

Acid Wizard uplodaded their game on Pirate Bay after its release (and its happened in about a week or so). They even Inspire people to pirate it. There is no catch, no shame in doing so, and no hidden secrets inside the game (like in Gamemaker Tycoon (or-how-was-it-called), for exapmle). Reason behind this is simple, and I Quote:

Basically, developer wants to share their game with people, without giving scammers and other scum a chance to make money out of their generocity. And piracy, in this scenario - is the only option.

Acid Wisard also commented on the Pirated Version with:

I must admit: I am a Pirate myself, and there is no shame in that (in my eyes). Buying an unfinished, or even a bad game for a shit load of money - not that good of a decision. In fact - I can always buy a game if I find it worthy of my money. Or if I want to support the creators and developers. Consider it as a "Demo Review".

But key reselling - is an entierly diffirent story.

Key reselling sites make money out of giveaways. Finding ways of scamming developers and players alike, just to make some cash. Its a diffirent type of leech, and im not surprised that Acid Wizard dont like them THAT much.

More details you can find from these sources:
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-08-28-darkwood-dev-pirates-own-game-a-week-after-launch

And the main question is:

• Would you prefer Pirating games (and, maybe, support dev's after playing their game (buy game on Steam\GOG)?
    • Or you would like to save some money by buying a key from sites like G2A?

• Like Like x 3
  2. counter

counter Moderator Staff Member Server Moderator Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    co#2858
    Definitely pirating games and supporting the developers down the line. If I buy a key from G2A and I find out later in the road that I don't like the game or the key is defunct/not working, I'm not going to get that refund. If you guys pirate and like & want to purchase a game, it's better off buying it from humble bundle instead of the steam store since a portion of your cash goes to charity which is definitely a win-win right there (you also get a 10% discount if you subscribe to humble monthly).

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Bagels

Bagels Dedicated Member Bronze VIP

+1 to humble bundles. Great stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SilverMario

SilverMario Golden

I prefer using steam's refund feature to test games instead of pirating/buying keys for a game. If a game can keep me wanting to play more after 2 hours then the developers deserve some money. Also Steam is not very strict on the policy and you can play like 3-4 hours worth of a game most of the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Rick

Rick female nipple Gold VIP

The main difference with this game (and the main point in the video) is that G2A is so shady that the guy who made darkwood just gave it away so that G2A cant make any money off of it because it's a 'cancer on the industry'. Basically the point isn't like "test the game" it's play the game and if you want to support me later on if you really like the game then give me the monies

6. Troxxy

Troxxy Active Member Gold VIP

Piracy

7. Nyaaa~ ∑:3

Nyaaa~ ∑:3 Old Champion

Well, its not only G2A that is cancer. It goes about every Key Reselling site. And (of, fuckin', course) thats I asked this question.

8. Rick

Rick female nipple Gold VIP

???

Nice post u added a lot to ur thread

• Agree Agree x 1