Idea Day\Night Cycle

Discussion in 'Garry's Mod: Flood' started by Nyaaa~ ∑:3, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Nyaaa~ ∑:3

Nyaaa~ ∑:3 Old Champion

This idea was with me for a while. I've seen some servers that use dynamic skybox and\or lighting, and this was a huge deal like... 2 years ago(or so). Now I see this Cycles (mostly on survival gamemodes) diffirently. Now I see it as a "game changer". Especially if it was a part of Flood map.

[​IMG]

First of all: How would Day\Night Cycle work on Flood maps and what it would give?

Its simple. Dynamic skybox (or lighting manipulations) would provide a huge change to the gamemode itself. Since there is no light - players would have restricted vision. They would use Lights, Lamps, Flaslights and other sources, that will provide them enough vision to build and\or battle in the dark.

Its not COMPLETE DARKNESS, mind you. You still could see some shadowy figures and outlines, but its hard to recognise some stuff nontheless. Also, this change would provide new possibilities for events, that require limited vision and\or light.

Second of all: Would this add lags\fps drop and can we fix this, if thats the case?
    I dont know crap about the mapping, programing and other things that concern map building and gemamode programing. But if my understanding of "simple things' it is correct - you can create other sources and methods. And im not talking about the effects and effect manipulation (but it also a solution). If you know something about this shit - you know the methods.

So... your thoughts?

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  2. counter

counter Moderator Staff Member Server Moderator Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    co#2858
    This would be a great idea to have on certain events along with weathering

• Halloween event would be night or dusk
    • Christmas would have snow/blizzard with a bit of fog (?)
    • Juggernaut would have rain storms
    • Etc.
    Events could also be created with day/night/weathering

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. SilverMario

SilverMario Golden

I think it would be cool to add to the server. Something like this makes looking at the same props, same map, and same fighting procedure a little bit less dull and repetitive. I don't see how this could be really bad. Also gives the VIP light tool a better use.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. jeffreythe00

jeffreythe00 Dreamer

I like the concept but I will have to disagree because I don't think day/night belongs on a flood server. The only thing "night" would do is make it hard for people to see where they are shooting, which IMO is annoying.

However as a standalone event, it would be fine because it wouldn't be day/night all the time and people can just hop to one of our other servers if it's something they don't like.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SilverMario

SilverMario Golden

If not a day and night cycle/event for the server, I think during halloween we should have an orange skybox.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Rick

Rick female nipple Gold VIP

This is suggested every few months, donkers can't do it for the main server but it can be done for new maps?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Donkie

Donkie Founder & Senior Developer Platinum VIP

Discord:
    Donkie#2878
    This is something I want to do but is pretty much impossible to pull off neatly on our current map. The map has to be made in a specific way to allow it.

If my map ever gets finished, that will support this.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Bayrock

Bayrock Founder & Developer Staff Member Founder

Discord:
    Bayrock#2940
    We've tried this in the past for events such as Halloween.

The map is currently a bottleneck, as Donkie stated.