Dr. Pit's Development Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr. Pit Lazarus, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Dr. Pit Lazarus

Dr. Pit Lazarus Angelic Web Developer Gold VIP

Firedraft can't read, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dawson

Dawson Veteran Member Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    The fish tank interior would need a major overhaul regarding redesign. But that'd be an interesting setting to host boat battles.

3. Roflcopter Rogers

Roflcopter Rogers Least From The East Platinum VIP

Also I found another map called FM_glacier it has no rooms, and is an island surrounded by ice walls. This mapp seems the fairest, it is a little gloomy though.

4. Dr. Pit Lazarus

Chamber Layout Types (cont.)

chamber_c011 *Carved pillars
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chamber_d010 Centered rooms
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wouldn't that make it difficult to place triggers? Like preventing vips from noclipping out of the map?

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    I came up with a mock sketch of how we could implement a circular map. It's only a top-down view, but I'll add more details when time is made available to me.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Decap

Decap Super Radman

@Dr. Pit Lazarus I like the smoothed corners with the rooms in the center. But the other one would look better of there were 3 rooms on the wall instead of 4.

@Dawson I really like that map concept.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    The eight (8) rooms in the outer cricket can be divided into sixteen (16) for optimal convenience. Perhaps another map could be made to have thirty-two (32)....

8. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    *circlet. Worthless "auto-spelling". To go off tangent for a moment, was post editing recently disabled because abuse. While it's fine for that respect, it's a double-edged sword because now content organization is more difficult to maintain.

9. Decap

Decap Super Radman

I think 8 rooms will be good enough. Making more rooms makes the rooms smaller and harder to build bigger boats. Like right now we only have 7. If you wanted more, I'd say don't go any more than 10.

Post editing works for my posts, but I'm a forum mod so maybe that's different for me. Are you on a phone or tablet? Ask @Bayrock about it if you can't figure it out.

10. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    Post editing for me is disabled whether I'm on my smartphone or laptop. I'll ask him for assistance.

11. Bayrock

Bayrock Founder & Developer Staff Member Founder

Discord:
    Bayrock#2940
    I wonder what your player model would look like with the Flood wings; considering it already has wings, lol. Looks like you've got some constructive ideas for a map as well. I look forward to seeing some concepts, and I agree with @Donkie about trying a circular map.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dr. Pit Lazarus

Map Layouts (cont.)

chamber_c012 Changed to 8 rooms, 3 on each side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

circlet_a010 Attempted Dawson's circle map idea. (Octagon lol)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pit probably cannot fly with four wings lol.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Firedraft

Firedraft Devine Member Silver VIP

I really like every single map you have made so far. They definitively need to be on a rotation

14. Dr. Pit Lazarus

Map Layout Candidates
    I have three map layouts that I consider ready for texturing and finalizing, but I need feedback on these layouts if any changes are needed.Once the map layouts are approved and the community has no objections, I need a theme for the textures that are going to be used in the map... map names may be changed. Of course I'm not rushing this, I like to be organized and on point. I should probably send these maps to @Donkie so he can config the server to run them so we can test the maps functionality, which should be done before I start texturing.
    These maps now have all three entities required for the Atmos addon (light_environment, env_skypaint, env_sun).

chamber_c013 The corner-less version of canal. Has 8 rooms, 3 on each side and 2 in center.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^Atmos night sky.
    [​IMG]
    ^Size of chamber* rooms in comparison to vending machines.
    chamber_d011 8 rooms in the center of map. Has symmetric pillars on corners.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    circlet_a011 A round map, attempted to use @Dawson's design. Has 8 rooms as the map is an octagon. Tried my best to keep it symmetric.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Roflcopter Rogers

Roflcopter Rogers Least From The East Platinum VIP

16. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    Way to go, Lazarus! You're a map-making machine!

I'm back with more ideas that I want to share regarding general aesthetics and interactive content for our maps. Let me know what could work and what might not, with reasoning to back it up.

(1) [AESTHETIC] Add at least one (1) or several drainage / flooding grates to the bottom surfaces of each water container.

(2) [AESTHETIC] Rather than having our ceiling instantly disappear and reappear when appropriate, let's devise one that has a neat mechanism that allows it to quickly pull apart from the center and retract. The majority of the ceiling itself would comprise of window pane, with minimally intrusive steel reinforcement grids keeping it in place.

(3) [AESTHETIC] To my delight with seeing Atmos being fully compatible with our future maps, I propose that lamps should be placed in appropriate areas to illuminate the scenery during the evenings.

(4) [INTERACTIVE] Each door that leads into a room should be rendered completely opaque on the outside and translucent on the building interior.

(5) [INTERACTIVE] Users that are either defeated or wish to take a break from building have the option of being teleported to a lobby room. The lobby room could have a number of interactives, including hall-of-fame scoreboards, seats, several booths for placing winner bets, a jukebox for playing swinging elevator music (lol), an interactive pool table (from a workshop add-on), & anything else that might work. Miscellaneously a stationary door could be placed to indicate a point of entry or exit into the map. One major detail is that the lobby is linked by a short hallway, taking users to...

(6) [INTERACTIVE] ...outside stadium seating! This area would made to loom over the building arena. The seating would also be elevated high enough for an audience to watch combatants at near-eye level during battle phases. A very transparent screen, perhaps lightly tinted with blue, would be devised to protect the ongoing viewers from gunfire, explosives, and chemicals. Banners and joke advertisements could be hung around the arena's sides for comedic purposes.

(7) [INTERACTIVE] Alternatively for stadium seating a park-like setting could be used. Like any nice typical park, there would be benches and picnic tables, soft-sloping hills, walking pavement, trees of variable sizes, a small stream or two, other decorative plants, and lamp posts for illumination during the evenings. Other aspects pertaining to spectator elevation and screening are also the same from the stadium variant.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    While it may be too soon to start looking into map themes, I'll leave a few ideas out in the open for now.

(1) Aquarium theme

(2) Tropical archipelago theme

(3) Laboratory theme

(4) Industrial waterworks / pipeworks theme

(5) Graveyard theme

(6) Park theme

(7) Prison theme

(8) Antarctica / iceberg theme

18. Dr. Pit Lazarus

1. Of course!
    2. Had this idea too. Current animation idea:
    [​IMG]
    3. Simple lighting.
    4. This can be done but what was the reason for this? I was planning on making the door completely opaque.
    5. Umm.. We don't want to confuse players by putting miscellaneous entities in the lobby. Even if you didn't mean the main lobby, we don't want to drive away from the main event that is flood. Imagine you're playing flood and there are some players on and you want to rek some boats, but you don't see anyone playing because they are all screwing around in the fun lobby. A ghost deathmatch would probably do the trick.
    6 & 7. These sound like themes for a map. We can have an area where players could watch at eye-level, but the area must not be too big such as a stadium but rather a hallway width. It is possible to add custom textures to walls. I don't think I can make an really good 3d skybox yet.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933

Love the animations.

I have no problem with both sides being opaque. In fact, that'll be much better for the doors. I was basing my proposal on what we discussed during the last conference.

I agree after having thought about it myself.

These ideas could definitely be reserved for a future stadium- and park-themed map, respectively. I'm just not sure what current themes you might have in mind for the three you've just compiled.

20. Decap

Decap Super Radman

I really like the direction this thread is going. I'm proud of you @Dr. Pit Lazarus

• Like Like x 1