Dr. Pit's Development Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr. Pit Lazarus, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Firedraft

Firedraft Devine Member Silver VIP

10/10 would pit again

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dr. Pit Lazarus

Dr. Pit Lazarus Angelic Web Developer Gold VIP

Test Roof Animations
    chamber_c015

Roof animation takes 6 seconds to transition.
    Water level takes 14-15 seconds to transition.
    Water starts in the up position to fix shadows. OnMapSpawn logic_auto to bring water to down position.
    The only problem I see is when the water goes down and someone's prop lands on room walls, the roof will slam the prop and maybe prevent the roof from closing completely.

circlet_a011 [will be edited in later, 2015.05.17; 00:30]

-same description as chamber-
    [community voting for themes for each map will be edited in later]

Last edited: May 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Dawson

Dawson Veteran Member Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    Perhaps we could make the ceiling close up at the very start of a build phase. Any builds that are saved would be warped back to the spawn site without instances of jamming. Preventing contained players and props from flying out is the next issue. My solution is to take a large invisible sheet and cover the ceiling during the closing sequence. This would be automatically removed once containment is completely enclosed.

4. Decap

Decap Super Radman

This is exactly what I was thinking, don't start the close animation until props have been refunded. Or make it to where any props that are still above the ceiling point will be refunded automatically regardless if they saved their props or not.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    Here's an updated version of possible themes we could use for Lazarus' maps (and others in the future).

Theme ideas for 'Chamber':

Theme ideas for 'Circlet':

Theme ideas for either map:

6. Dr. Pit Lazarus

Map Theme Voting is Now Open temporarily closed!

Vote for your favourite map theme(s) HERE. You can upvote as much themes you like, but try to choose as few as you can, choose carefully! Click to view the results. You may edit your votes. Also, guests may vote.

I'm going to enable one response per person (which will require sign in to Google) because someone clicked submit and went back and submitted repeatedly.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Firedraft

Fishtank ftw

8. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    I strongly recommend that we look into adding a greeting segment for the servers that announces our map theme voting event. The more votes we garner, the better our output will become.

9. Dr. Pit Lazarus

This is a good idea, but probably not yet. I might make two more vote forms and tweak the options. One for forum users and the other for the servers. The reason being is that forum users read and think (hopefully) about their responses. On the other hand, players on the server will most likely not take the time to read and think before submitting (because they are more focused on playing flood and don't want to waste time). Then we'll compare and think about it from there. I might make the choices limited to two (2) themes for each map and then another section for "which theme would you like the most?" (1) choice. I'll work on it later.

10. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    I think the best way to get our voting done is to divide it into two (2) segments in the following manner:

Voting Segment 1: Private

Voting Segment 2: Public

Keep records of EVERYTHING. Also, be sure to find a way to adjust max voting entries to two (2) per category. Voting on an entry that can be found in several categories should cause duplicates to become grayed out (an inaccessible).

11. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    I've finished creating another map concept: Gastro.

Details

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Decap

Decap Super Radman

While the map idea is unique, the acid eating away at props sounds like something that would be better suited for an event instead of normal gameplay.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    Yeah, that's what I intend for the prop-damaging fluid; it'd definitely occur every so often as a special round..

• Like Like x 1
  14. Decap

Decap Super Radman

Great! Otherwise the map is a great idea. Food items could be used as platforms to build boats on.

15. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    Glad to hear you're pleased! Food platforms would be a nice feature to add. What they'd look like can be discussed later down the road.

To avoid littering Lazarus' development thread with concept sketches I'll set up a thread that deals strictly with the aforementioned.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Dr. Pit Lazarus

Theme Voting
    Public Forum Voting Link | Public Server Voting Link
    The public voting link is available to everyone. Results are hidden to prevent influence and manipulation of data. The voting system prevents multiple submissions (hopefully). To get the most responses, I suggest advertising the link somewhere on the servers.

Closed Voting will be sent though forum pm/conversation with link and a code to staff, trusted, and active members when I'm done making it.

• Useful Useful x 2
  17. Firedraft

Even though I will never be able to experience your amazing work on the servers. I will always support this amazing work of yours. Good luck my friend in making the maps. :heart:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  18. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    Never say never, Firedraft. Just give the hiatus some time.

Splendid work on the vote formatting, Lazarus. I'm sure we'll have a significantly less troublesome time now that parameters have been set.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Dr. Pit Lazarus

What to do
    So... during the conference, it was said that my current voting system is rubbish (yeah, it is). I'm not entirely sure how should I progress with the mapping process, but this is what I think how it should go:

1. Test the functionality of the maps. (@Decap poked me about this; just test the dang map and texture later. Also note that most map features are going to be server-side.)
    2. Gather feedback on the tested maps. As a group, discuss (preferably on teamspeak) changes that will need to be made (door size, room height, etc., also to add any new features) and decide on a theme (listed on this thread or not) that will fit the layout of the map. Data should be sent to me via forums PM.
    3. Work on the maps with the data collected from testing. I'll work on the maps with some help from @Donkie and periodically test the maps on the servers. Repeat steps 1-3 'til final product is reached.

Also some shots of signature and room labels. Just playing around, fonts may need to be changed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Decap

Decap Super Radman

Looks awesome Pit. I'm down to help you test, just let me know and I'll jump on.