Flood Suggestions [Archived]

Discussion in 'Garry's Mod: Flood' started by Bayrock, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firedraft

Firedraft Devine Member Silver VIP

As I said. There is a add on out there that clears individual's props. It's in almost every darkrp server.

2. Dawson

Dawson Veteran Member Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    * * * Visual / SFX improvements, new headgear, and spiffy new angel wings * * *

I retrieved a couple of addons that could improve the visual depth and SFX quality of Flood:

I also found some headgear that could be added as future equipment:

Finally, there are two addons circulating the Workshop that come equipped with improved angel wings. Both addons exhibit automatic animations when the wearer is falling, no-clipping, or gliding. Feathers also trail behind players whenever they move, jump, glide, and no-clip. Upon player death, the wings will dissipate into light particles.

The only difference between the two addons is that one features wings that cannot be color edited (they're white by default) and the other comes with wings that can be customized. For customizable wings, color changes will carry over to feather particles.

There are other features associated with the addons, like double-jumping, "gliding" (slower falling time when holding down the Shift key). They shouldn't be an issue because as a VIP-exclusive item, the ability to no-clip will already be available to donators. Besides, it's probably safe to assume that wearers will not receive any secondary benefits for building.

Feel free to share any thoughts--they could replace what we have in the future.

Animated angel wings (color customizable):
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=358253236&searchtext=wing

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Decap

Decap Super Radman

New Event #1

MAKE IT RAIN

aka Bonus Round

-All players have access to thrusters but will still build a boat like normal
    -Once the water has risen to the top, money (cash bags or something similar) will fall from the sky at a fast rate. (Donkie might have access to some money bags)
    -The main objective is to collect as many money bags as possible
    -Players have no weapons
    -Each cash bag is worth $100
    -Occasionally, a Golden Bag will fall worth 1 token.

-This round will be a rare occurance happening only once every 100 normal rounds or so.
    -It was decided that instead we will have the Bonus Round twice a day around a certain time. Same time every day with a countdown clock to the next Bonus Round in or around the prop menu.
    -Water does 2x Damage
    -Money bags will need to be large enough so the player can "collect" them without having to jump off their boats.

New Event #2

Barrel Round
    (taking name ideas)

-Barrels are falling from the sky during battle round (Might need to figure out a better prop due to possible lag issues)
    -Most are unlit and will fall in random areas.
    -Players can shoot the barrels to make them explode
    -Occasionally, a lit barrel will fall and explode after a certain amount of time, causing a chain reaction with other barrels.
    -Boats hit with an explosive will be delt 30-50 damage to each prop
    -Small chance of damaged props to be caught on fire depending on how close it is to the boat.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Firedraft

Only a 100 doesnt seem worth it though xD like if you build a simi big boat. Well you wasted money.

5. Decap

Decap Super Radman

There will be a plentiful amount of bags falling. I would take a guess that someone without thrusters could still collect 10-20 bags without moving around that much. The point of it would be to give people a big boost in money.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Firedraft

Ahhhh, Okay. Sounds like a great idea then. xD

7. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    Love the idea of the bonus and barrel rounds, Decap. I'm sure they'd be viable with proper implementation. I'll lend a hand with the round ideas as I find time during this week to do so.

*Extra chatter will be appearing here!*

UPDATE (January 31st, 2015):

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Decap

Decap Super Radman

Updated the post with a few things we talked about in the meeting.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    Compiled some supporting ideas for Decap's Money and Barrel rounds. You can find them listed on post #127.

10. Decap

Decap Super Radman

I do not want these explosions to harm players at all and I think you're making barrell round a little to complex. It's quite a simple idea when using the HL2 exploding barrels. When shot at, they catch on fire and will explode after a few seconds. Very simple and easy. Now as far as the barrel model, that might need to be changed to a smaller prop. I was thinking the helicopter mines from HL2 since they are a little smaller and we already have them as a buildible prop that never gets used. We could even see if the NPC helicopter could fly over top to drop these mines instead of them just falling magically out of the sky.

I like the money bag models, we might use those if Donkie can't find the ones he wanted to use.

11. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    Okay. Got a little carried away, but I edited the Barrel Round update to be more simplistic. Sorry about that.

12. Decap

Decap Super Radman

New Event

"Flood" Event

-Build phases are normal
    -Once battle phase starts, The water will continue to rise at a slow pace.
    -There is a ceiling (could be invisible like the one during build phase)
    -There is no real "timer" for this round. Instead the water will slowly rise to the top of the ceiling.
    -Players could be "crushed" or killed between their boat and the ceiling. The ceiling could instead force players off their boat and into the water to die.
    The point of the event is that either you defeat all other players, or die and no one wins.

I have concerns about what would happen when the props collide with the "ceiling".

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933

Ah, this idea is very reminiscent to one I had thought about before. The only difference was that I planned on having it be a normal-occurring situation to a new Flood map that was designing last June. Here's the thread to back it up:

http://devinity.org/index.php?threads/flood-map-idea-1-horror-themed-by-dawson.74/

As for concerns with the ceiling, wouldn't buoyant props just become firmly planted into it after the water has completely engulfed the arena? I'm sure there wouldn't be any problems with them spazzing out.

Overall, I love the event idea.

14. Kill Is My Middle Name

Kill Is My Middle Name Member Silver VIP

Suggestions
    So what the server needs to get more people donating to keep the server alive is to be able to find the donating spot easier.

We could have a logs page for staff in the Q menu and have coloured Q menu titles.

On the joining page have a rules section that switches every 10 to 20 seconds.

By Scott aka Stamped

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  15. Dr. Pit Lazarus

Dr. Pit Lazarus Angelic Web Developer Gold VIP

Sounds like an arcade game I used play. Collapse and Tetris. When the blocks reach the top, you lose.
    Since the water is continually rising, that would load the server with physics for large amounts of props. When the props reach the top, I guess they would just stop rising and stick to that ceiling. If the ceiling is going to be invisible, place a water level indicator like in tower round.

Player connects and disconnects should be announced in chat including the reason. (I'm not sure if this is a server bug or the game itself. Sometimes the console doesn't say that the player disconnected.)
    The tips need to be updated as some aren't as useful. The purchase tab really needs to be titled Donate. Maybe the interface needs to be revamped.

@Bayrock neglected to update and fix the server flood rules. Including fixing the link to the FAQ and to simplifying the rules for the players. The description of a rule should be in a different colour. Rules 05 and 09 are unnecessary as they are both included in rule 07. Adding no begging for money.

16. Decap

Decap Super Radman

I do like the use of the water level indicator from tower round.

Begging for money shouldn't be against the rules as it causes no actual problems. I'll admit that it is kind of annoying but there are legitimate reasons for some people asking. I don't mind giving someone 5k or 10k if they have no money and can't build a boat, but I don't do it often. The players can decide for themselves if they want to give them money or not.

17. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    * * * Improvement tweaks for select VIP / general tools and elements surrounding team formation * * *

18. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    A major overhaul has been completed on post #121,"Visual / SFX improvements, new headgear, and some spiffy new angel wings." There's more content and details in some places have been revised. Images and videos have been added to some of the sections for convenience. Please let me know about anything that needs to be addressed.

I'm not sure about the general opinions concerning players dropping weapons upon death, but I'll place this addon below just for shits and giggles. There are other features that are included--everything can be customized, enabled, and disabled.

Consider the following as an extension to post #121: how to aesthetically improve players' experiences with Flood.

19. Donkie

Donkie Founder & Senior Developer Platinum VIP

Discord:
    Donkie#2878
    As always, helping me as much as possible increases chances of things happening. For the flags, please make them 128x128 and with a transparent background.

Dropping all your weapons on death currently isn't a solution to our lag problems.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933

I'll make sure to apply the size formats to each image, but I feel that some of them (e.g. the pirate flag) are better off without the ability to be colored. Could we allow some exceptions to pass in terms of lacking transparency? I'll make sure to find more images that'll be compatible with team coloring.

Right, that's what I DO NOT want to happen for any death that occurs.

Using the addon correctly would require us to toggle down the amount of weapons that drop to just one (1) solitary weapon. The edit would apply only to what the player was actively wielding prior to death. Plus, making the drops dissipate after 5 seconds would further reduce the likelihood of lag taking place.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.