Map Suggestion Thread

Discussion in 'Garry's Mod: Battle Royale' started by Noriaki Cocaine, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Noriaki Cocaine

Noriaki Cocaine Devine Member

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    exotranc#3653
    ITT: Post map suggestions for the Battle Royale server. Provide workshop link if it is on steam, which it will be 99.9% of the time. Suggested maps may be considered for a switching cycle of maps on servers or a permanent change.

To start it off, two suggestions:
    gm_range_f4 (bonus night version)
    The map has much less natural cover/camouflage than gm_fork, but it focuses primarily on height. You can slide off the mountains with no damage taken or choose to have the positional advantage, especially if you have a weapon that's accurate at long range.
    gm_balkans
    A more recent map that's designed for a BR-format gamemode. Large structures litter the play area and feature some interactive elements such as destructible bridges while the rest of the map is rich in concealing trees and other forms of cover. The .bsp is actually larger than gm_fork, but it seems like it should be since it's much more detailed.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Expanix

Expanix Community Member

GM_range_f4 just looks horrible with all those repeated textures. It's like it was made in Unity by some 12-year-old who think's he's a game developer.

By the way, I'd prefer the current map was fixed (you know, the massive lag) before adding new ones. Just saying.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. Noriaki Cocaine

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    exotranc#3653
    Every time someone says to "fix" the map doesn't make the problem any simpler. There's nothing to fix with gm_fork itself, it's just that the source engine isn't built to handle large maps. Unless you want to perpetuate source engine's development as a freelance coder, I don't think that's going to happen.

In layman's terms, the map is really big and putting a lot of players on it is undoubtedly going to cause lag. It's actually a better option to seek out other maps to see how they test out because "fixing" it would take a long time and still not yield exceptional results due to the fact that running it with 64 players will eliminate any optimizations made anyway. Needless to say, it's also covered with loads of props and entities as well, contributing to this issue.

4. Rick

Rick female nipple Staff Member Community Manager Gold VIP

I wouldn't mind running gm_balkans but do have to agree with xpanix that range looks pretty shitty. But if we had the maps on a voting system players just wouldn't play the shit maps.

gm_bigcity might be interesting

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. counter

counter Godly Member Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    co#2858
    @Rick I believe you suggested this map before. It would be pretty cool to have a map rotation that includes a snowy biome.

This also means that we could further utilize the PMC pack so that players would spawn with different articles of clothing on various maps.
    Arctic clothing on snowy climate, desert clothing on desertous climates, etc.

6. Noriaki Cocaine

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    exotranc#3653
    To add on to Rick's point of a potential city map in the rotation, I have gm_gotham, and to add on to both his and Counter's point, I have gm_bigcity_winter.

For another map that doesn't have a lot of tree based cover but relies on structures and elevation but is actually detailed, you can check out gm_valley.

Since a crucial part of BR is deploying from the plane and flying down with a parachute, would the skybox of other maps also have to be as high as gm_fork's? Or do we have some sort of method for making the paradrop a seamless feature over any map?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rick

The skybox needs to be big

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Noriaki Cocaine

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    exotranc#3653
    Is the parachute currently reusable? If not, it might have to be on the city maps if people jump off and land on skyscrapers. Some of them have doors that teleport you to the ground but some don't. It's not really optimal to camp on a roof but some people could do it and having this feature would be necessary.

9. Rick

It's reusable. I don't think we should put weapons on the roofs that aren't accessible from the ground though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Donkie

Donkie Founder & Senior Developer Staff Member Founder

Discord:
    Donkie#2878
    Just an FYI, big maps in source does work, as long as the map is not very open. It's large open spaces that tears your FPS apart.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Noriaki Cocaine

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    exotranc#3653
    Oh, I didn't know. Thanks for clearing that up. That means that we could possibly look for maps with just huge underground systems and tunnels, etc.

12. Hangaroid

Hangaroid Member Staff Member Server Moderator Contributor

Server:
    Battle Royale
    Discord:
    Hangaroid#5003
    I tried to find good maps that would do good in BR and the only one that I found somewhat satisfactory is gm_valley (I don't know how to use those link-word things sorry) https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=104483504. All the others I found have a very bland look and not a lot of structures. I am afraid gm_fork really is the best BR map there is out there currently.

I don't know if people would be okay with it, but Rockford V2 that is used on many RP servers has a lot of structures and is pretty big and vast https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=622810630&searchtext=Rockford

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  13. Noriaki Cocaine

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    exotranc#3653
    I had mentioned this map in the thread already, but regardless, it doesn't hurt to look for other maps because gm_fork will eventually become bland.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Verrock

Verrock Member

Server:
    Battle Royale
    Discord:
    verrock#1090