New Gamemodes: Pros and Cons.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rick, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Rick

Rick female nipple Gold VIP

Okay, Decap has already made one of these threads, but I felt that there was a relavively low amount of options, so I've decided to make this thread. I have also decided to talk about the pros and cons of each one so that people are a little more informed before they start saying they want a TTT or a DarkRP.

Most of the options will be for Gmod Gamemodes, seeing as it's usually the best idea to stick within a single game for various reasons. So heres a list for pros and cons, I've pulled most of these from a list of registered gamemodes from the 'Gmod Wiki', so sorry if I miss something you'd like out. If I do, just say so below and I'll look into it.

Extreme Football Throwdown:
    This is a pretty simple gamemode, I'm not sure if this is impossible to actually host because I haven't actually seen if a base to this gamemode is available. It does bring in a fair amount of players from what I have seen, and if done correctly we could 'advertise' flood and our forums, bringing it all together and inviting more players into our community.
    However, this server doesn't bring in too many regulars because it is so simple, but as I stated, it could be used to suck in an influx of new players to devinity. Additionally, from what I've seen, there aren't too many rivalling servers there.

Trouble in Terrorist Town:
    I won't bother giving talking about what TTT is, if you've played Flood, you've played this. TTT servers usually manage to bring in a steady stream of players, however in order to stand out from the other 500 of them something would need to be done that could make the server unique. This could be done, but it would require even more work that setting up the server in the first place.

Prop Hunt:
    Pretty much the same thing as TTT although a fair bit more difficult, personally I can think of a few things that could make for a unique TTT server, but I can't say the same for a prop hunt server. It's still possible, just a fair bit harder to do at the same time standing out from hundreds of other servers.

Murder:
    The same again, too many servers and even less to make it stand out, especially seeing as the base gamemode is so hard to work with outside of adding a point shop or something. It's fun, but not that many players even utilise it regularly, and it may be difficult to advertise flood within it.

Jailbreak:
    Okay, some people are dead against jailbreak as a whole, but the truth is that it has a lot of pros. Whilst there is not a free base gamemode for it, there are purchasable versions on CoderHire that are pretty good, or for somebody with the skills of Donkie it would be reasonably easy to set up compared to a huge project like devinity flood. The playerbase is very good for dedicated players and would thus provide a big boost to devinity as a whole. There is a small problem of rivalry, there's a rather large amount of other servers running JB with a a fair few of them being from large communities that have gotten their 'Foot in the door', but it's not very much compared to TTT and the such.

Deathrun:
    Deathrun has many of the problems as with things like prophunt ect. but with all of the main problems dulled down a little, it is slightly easier to make unique as there's more to work with. There is a fair amount less competition, and some 'addicts' can become regulars on this gamemode far too easily, just as is often seen on flood.

Garry's Mod Stranded:
    Basically Rust, but in Gmod, and at the moment super buggy. That's a big problem of course, and it would require a fair amount of streamlining. The pros however are that it's a level based gamemode that requires a fair amount of grinding. And for anybody that has never played Runescape or Wow, that means that people can get very addicted, very easily. There is very little competition on stranded, and from the servers I've checked into they're not exactly the best made thing in the world. If done well and streamlined by somebody with the skill of Donkie we wouldn't even really have to do much to make it unique because that would already do it for us.

Gun Game:
    A fast paced gamemode with a fair amount that could be made to make it unique, however there isn't exactly a huge playerbase for it. Thankfully however it could be used to advertise flood and devinity as a whole as it does bring in a fair amount of players.

DarkRP:
    Oh god, I knew I'd have to talk about this eventually. It's not a bad gamemode, and it does bring in a fair amount of players, and truth be told a fair amount of these could become regulars. However it's a little difficult to set up and make unique, especially seeing as that's what everybody else is trying to do. I'd love one of these, but the truth is it's not great to run.

Cops and Runners:
    I actually haven't tried this out yet, but from what I've heard it's a budding gamemode with a low level of competition. I'll look into it and edit this post.

I haven't mentioned Gmod Tower, Zombie Survial, HaloRP, HL2 Roleplay, MORBUS or Gmod Stalker for individal reasons that make them either impossible or impractical to run.

Now I'm going to speak about a few servers outside of Gmod.

Minecraft:
    Minecraft servers often get a little separated from other game servers within the same community unfortunately, but minecraft can bring in a fair amount of players to the server itself. But as Donkie and Bay have said a fair amount of times, you can't just get a bunch of plugins together and call it a server, you need to put a fair amount of effort into it.

TF2:
    Pretty swanky game, I don't like it myself, but apparently it brings in a fair few players. Although I don't really see very many ways of making it stand out from the crowd, or any way of linking it up with flood and the community as a whole.

If you have any other suggestions, please go ahead and say in the thread and people can support the idea there instead of a poll because that encourages people to give constructive criticism or positive remarks on any of the ideas.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sync

Sync Dedicated Member

I'm really starting to like the idea of a devinity jailbreak, little to no competition when it comes to unique servers

3. Bayrock

Bayrock Founder & Developer Staff Member Founder

Discord:
    Bayrock#2940
    It could be a possibility in the future, but no promises can be made.

Jailbreak is popular and many of the servers might not have the flare we could bring but Jailbreak is not necessarily unsaturated.

I had a basic Jailbreak for a short period of time before the Flood, but it was too short lived to gauge the viability of a JB server for us.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rick

I sort of want a Devinity jailbreak too, and as you've said, none of the other jailbreak servers really have any real innovation.

#DevinityJB

5. Decap

Decap Super Radman

If you want to put this in your Cops & Runners info then feel free.

It's a mix between Hide & Seek and Jailbreak. The Warden has a "Jail" that he must place somewhere at the beginning of the round. Once placed, you search for the runners. Once found, chase them down (at very high speed) and hit them with your stun stick to send them to jail. Once in jail you cannot get out unless a runner hits you with a crowbar that will turn you back into a runner. One runner will spawn with a smoke grenade dispenser. Smoke grenades can give cover to break people out of jail, or to distract the warden/police. The more runners there are, the more police.

Also let me point out, TF2 has more than just it's stock game modes. I'm tired of it personally, but that doesn't mean it's not fun. It probably has just as many other mods/game modes that gmod has.

6. Sync

Sync Dedicated Member

Sounds like it'd get Boring after the first map.

7. Bayrock

Discord:
    Bayrock#2940
    This guy made a decent point.

I was also thinking that it didn't seem like much more than a watered down TTT that's been renamed.

Except TTT has more of a 'plot' that with some sense going on, more variation, and is the more popular gamemode.

The fact that there is no real goal in Cops and Runners besides chasing or running basically stunts the opportunity for innovation.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sync

Sync Dedicated Member

I just about shit myself when I thought of a PERP server, but affording the $700 license would be rough.

9. Bayrock

Discord:
    Bayrock#2940
    Eh, I don't think I'd have to go through that kind of trouble to obtain some PERP files for us to play with.

Regardless with that being said I'm not very interested in going the the trouble that would exist with a PERP server.

10. Sync

Sync Dedicated Member

I mean I suppose with the skills of you lads, it Gould just be called devinity RP that would kind of remove the fuss of legal issues. Yet I understand the troubles, my god was it hard to keep stable and working right.

11. Mango

Mango The Australian Down Under Gold VIP

I'm just going to bring up jailbreak here.

12. Bayrock

Discord:
    Bayrock#2940
    You mongrels!

13. Sync

Sync Dedicated Member

YOU'RE TOO LATE BIATCH.

14. Mango

Mango The Australian Down Under Gold VIP

15. Duck Marketer

Duck Marketer Active Member Bronze VIP

I really want the darkrp idea happen , it's a fun and easy gamemode, although... guys probably don't want

16. Rick

Lads
    Lad singular, donkie.

17. Sensai-Mostache

Sensai-Mostache Active Member

I understand that everyone wants blah blah and blah, but I feel we should have a gamemode that involves water/boats/boat building in some way. The only gamemodes I could see this happening in are stranded and possibly Dark Rp, I am currently a little bored of attempting to make flood maps that everyone else wants and crap... so I could be available for maybe a dark rp or stranded gamemode..... But the gamemodes themselves would need tweaking. not really so much stranded but if we were to have dark rp we would need such and blah blah blah I lost my train of thought Im going to go make a thread now...

18. Duck Marketer

Duck Marketer Active Member Bronze VIP

+Vote for Darkrp, I can also do some coding for it since I know some people.

I think we should try a whole new gamemode instead of one thats already public.
    But it might be to hard.

19. Sensai-Mostache

Sensai-Mostache Active Member

dark rp stranded gamemode hybrid. there we go. nowww werreee talkin

20. Sync

Sync Dedicated Member

I have a mega thread coming for a major unique gamemode, give me till friday.

• Like Like x 1