1. Hello Guest, if you need help, wish to post feedback regarding our community/servers/staff or report game-breaking bugs, you're free to do so here.
    Dismiss Notice

Old bug - Certain props are "slippery" when mobile

Discussion in 'Feedback & Support' started by Dawson, May 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawson

Dawson Veteran Member Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    I'm surprised nobody has addressed the following issue yet. It seems that users are unable to stand still on top of mobile bulky bookshelves and thin metal doors without slipping off of them. As a result, synchronous movement by the rider is required to avoid falling into the water.

Could we try tweaking those two props in order to correct this issue? Try experimenting with other props, because I'm not sure if others exhibit this same issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Decap

Decap Super Radman

This is a result of welding incorrectly I believe. Many time's I've welded something without freezing it first and it causes me to slip around.

3. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    They're slippery not because of faulty welding, but because of their physical properties. To show you what I mean, here's what I want you to do: construct a three-prop boat where the bookshelf / metal door occupies the middle, with two vending machines sandwiching it together. Next, take a thruster and weld it to the back of the door / bookshelf. Once everything's done, stand on the middle platform while afloat and apply force to the boat. You should observe yourself sliding right off the door / shelf at the very second it begins moving, regardless of whether or not welds were used.

4. Donkie

Donkie Founder & Senior Developer Platinum VIP

Discord:
    Donkie#2878
    This is a source engine problem. I know about it and got a potential solution but that might be far off, nothing else can be done.

5. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    Damn. In a nutshell, what is your intended approach to attempt a fix?

6. Donkie

Donkie Founder & Senior Developer Platinum VIP

Discord:
    Donkie#2878
    A facepuncher came up with a brilliant idea.

If you don't hold any keys, it stores your current position relative to the props position. And every tick, your position is simply set to that relative position. This will effectively -always- keep you at the same place no matter what happens. The difficult part is doing it properly.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    I like it! But yes, some experimentation will need to be performed to hit the right spot. But where there's a will, there's a way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.