Steam Workshop observation: The (seemingly) logically devoid ordeal between an uploader & an author

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dawson, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Dawson

Dawson Veteran Member Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    So I was sifting through the workshop the other day and came across this nifty addon: Prone. However there's one small problem about it....

[​IMG]

For whatever reason the true owner, Magenta, wants to see it that it is removed (despite the fact that proper credit was given by the uploader). This has been the case for many of her own addons that were once readily accessible to the community. Magenta has been called out for being selfish-minded by others (to which I agree in ways) as a result. Perhaps attention- / drama-garnering to an extent as well, but that's just my bias. Regardless, the situation is being blown out of proportion more than it should be.

On a logical standpoint it simply doesn't make sense. Why would anyone go through the trouble of developing content for the Workshop (or for any other media) in the first place if it is destined to be locked away at some point and never see the light of day again? Simply put, the endeavors were counterproductive, time-wasteful, and in vain. Other more-meaningful / productive tasks could have been attended to with the time spent on doing 'nothing'.

[​IMG]

My belief is that authors should not only take pride in their confections, but also have a philanthropic mindset of wanting to improve the community / society that they are involved with. Sadly, however, helping improve the experiences of others is not always on the mind of others--case in point being Magenta and her intent to purge the workshop. The last word of advice I shared was that if the community is going to be denied access to the aforementioned content, then the best measure to take would be to have someone else create their own renditions--devoid completely of second-hand coding--that are either on par or trump the original products.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In all honesty I could see someone like @Bayrock take on creating their own version of Prone (or whatever else that's been devised by Magenta) and cranking out a superior product. What does everyone else think about the situation I have just addressed? Does it make a lick of sense to you, or are you just as puzzled as I am?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Noriaki Cocaine

Noriaki Cocaine Devine Member

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    exotranc#3653
    to me does not make sense because
    why would someone make something and not do anything with it
    that's the cause of everything too, because they have made something and don't want to do anything with it

3. Dawson

Dawson Veteran Member Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    The addon has been removed, but interestingly this was what Magenta said in response to my comments:

[​IMG]

4. Bayrock

Bayrock Founder & Developer Staff Member Founder

Discord:
    Bayrock#2940
    I think I'm as puzzled as you are with the original author. I'm flattered you'd consider me a capable candidate for publishing a successor to the addons though. Given some time and insight that's a reasonable theory, and I'd be willing to dig deeper in my spare time.

I don't personally agree with the behavior of the author. I wouldn't be surprised if your hunch about garnering attention applies in this case. Unfortunately, it can't be helped if that's how they feel. Some people simply don't wish to promote the well being of the public.