Modification Suggestions/ideas for those of us who get teamed up on

Discussion in 'Garry's Mod: Flood' started by Decap, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Decap

Decap Super Radman

I played some flood this past weekend and my first round was very nice. The server had about 8 other players in it and I was easily able to win that first round. But of course, people got salty real quick. They saw that I was a high rank, had lots of $, and was able to destroy everyone. So of course the next round, everyone on the server attacked me first. A barrage of rockets followed by AWP shots left and right. To me, this is one of the reasons I stopped playing flood so much. I thought at the time it was because of me being staff, but I can see that just being good at the game is enough.

Yeah I see that it is a strategy on their part. Take out the biggest dude in the yard first then worry about the rest. I could also team with someone myself, but at the time, the only two people not on teams were very low leveled players. At best, they would just spam pistol shots. At worst they would mess up my boat or spawn a bunch of useless props.

So for those of us out there that this happens to, what can be done to prevent things like this? I'm not asking for a rule change or something that puts the match in favor of us. However when things like this happened, it keeps me from wanting to play. I spend the build phase to build boats just for everything to be destroyed in a matter of 30 seconds or so due to how many people are after me. Wasn't there an idea a while back for a deployable shield generator? Something like that would help in that first barrage of rockets.

2. counter

counter Moderator Staff Member Server Moderator Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    co#2858
    I feel like we should limit the amount of explosives a player can have. While it is beneficial to New players that can wrack up a good amount of damage for cash, but as you've said, is pretty annoying when you have an entire team or two loading out explosives at you

3. Fmn

Fmn Active Member Bronze VIP

It may be annoying but if you were a low level and you kept getting annihilated by the same level 200 or whatever then you're gonna do the exact same thing people do to you now. Are you just complaining now because you're not winning every round? >.>

4. Decap

Decap Super Radman

No not at all, I don't want to win every round. I enjoy firefights and battles, I like when it's a challenge but not impossible. I'd have much more fun if I lost but was able to get a lot damage to everyone. The problem is that I spend a lot of time building and then get demolished before I can do any major damage myself. I've already recognized that doing this is a good strategy, but it's still quite unfair. If we could find some way to make it a little more balanced for both sides. I like @CounterCraftz idea of less explosives or something like that. I'd prefer the shield that I mentioned, but this thread is for suggestions so it doesn't have to be that specifically.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Dawson

Dawson Veteran Member Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    People could look at anyone above the level of 79 and attack them for all they've got. This isn't limited to players around level 110 and above.

@Decap - I'd probably look into tweaking explosives with regards to damage and possibly quantity.

Any considerations will surely be carried over to the new weapon loadout system that has already been planned out.

6. Decap

Decap Super Radman

What if we had a cooldown time for the rocket launcher? You can still keep the damage and ammo, but have to wait ~20 seconds to fire again. This would prevent a quick spam of rockets right off the bat and encourage people to use different weapons at the start of the match. This wouldn't completely fix the issue at hand, but it would help a little by not being hit by everyone's rockets in the first 10 seconds.

7. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    Blast radii could also be adjusted so that they're smaller.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Clyde

Clyde Active Member

I usually build a dummy boat when that happens so they waste everything on that.

9. Decap

Decap Super Radman

Doesn't work that often for me. I typically build two boats, but most of the time people will shoot at both of them or the "Bigger" boat no matter if I am on it or not.

10. RedRazor

RedRazor Active Member

I dont see rocket launcher cool down would work? Just because smg gernades are *ALMOST* Just as annoying.. So whatever you do to one you kinda got to do to the other considering Rocket Launcher is like 35k And Smg is like 500$ I think smg gernade would have to be debuffed if something happens to RPG

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Nyaaa~ ∑:3

Nyaaa~ ∑:3 Old Champion

While people complain about teaming up:

First: We have a rule for that. If they want to truce - everyone can remind them about that exact rule AND about the consecuenses.

Second: Its not a problem. Its a perfect change of events in your favour. Since most of the players will go against you, you can fool them pretty easily, change your strategies and earn even more money that usual, since everyone is so close to you. And if you will win again - they will give up, which is not just a moral win, but an EPIC win. And if you lose - everything will go back to square one, but you will still gain cash.

Third: Its a challenge worth of your attention. Since you're a good player, you're not just experiencing tough choises and more hard battles in Close Quarters and\or Middle Range, but you're teaching yourself to new ways of playing Flood, new strategies and you're polishin' your skills in the process.

Since im the most annoying (as far as I know), OP (in other eyes) and repetative bastard, that wins like 80% of all battles (most of the time SOLO) - I deal with this "problem" alot. And it became something new for me over the months of playing the game. I want challenge - and this is how it can happen in my eyes. Sometimes I even ALLOW players to build near me and truce against me as long as Im near them. This is one of the reasons I still not bored of the gamemode.

Keep in mind its a humble opinion. Im not saying that "everyone is a pussy lmao" or something along those lines. Im just sharing my sight on this dilemma.
    You can call me insane if you want. Its alright.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Decap

Decap Super Radman

Smg grenades are only useful at a close to medium range just like other throwables. I'm not nearly as worried about those, besides it's not just the Rocket Launcher that is the sole problem here. The problem is being ganged up on by the majority of the server and having zero chance to survive past the first 30 seconds once people decide to do that. As I said already, twice, I'd much prefer have a shield. From what I remember, a while back I believe it was @Dawson that recommended a prop that, when place on your boat, could be used to enable a small shield around your boat. The shield would either have a time limit, which I prefer, or an amount of health that would deteriorate over time. Imo, a shield is the best scenario as if you have a shield for 20 seconds, no one will want to waste bullets or ammo on that shield. Thus they will look to shoot someone else and get the focus off of you.

13. Decap

Decap Super Radman

That's great for you Nyaaa, however I've been at this long enough to see this as something that would discourage long time and high level players from returning. For you, it works. You have a challenge and you like it. But that may not work for majority of players. Take a look at the top 50 players. How many of them are still playing daily, weekly, or even once a month? I'm still on the top 30 players and other than playing this past weekend, I haven't played in months.

Again, not saying they should have every game in their favor. High level players need to be able to lose occasionally. However, if you are highly skilled at the game, that should reflect in your rank. Being teamed up on by the whole server happens to me every time I got on when I played often and when I was staff and to be honest, when it happened every single time, it was very discouraging and kept me from wanting to play.

14. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    Experience has also revealed to me that explosion effectiveness is generally weakened when applied to long, tapering boats. ...Although the chance to unweld props increases dramatically.

'Snake boats' have coincidentally fallen out of favor because of the necessary prop balances that have been made; durable ones are too expensive to build. This is also fine because of their propensity to be somewhat overpowered.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  15. Decap

Decap Super Radman

Yep, not to mention having to correct where you are on the boat all the time due to props being destroyed. It keeps you from being able to focus fire on an opposing boat.

16. Donkie

Donkie Founder & Senior Developer Platinum VIP

Discord:
    Donkie#2878
    Having rules against things doesn't really help much because people generally don't like moderating. It's tedious work. It's better if the game itself prevent people from doing bad things.

I think a nerf and cooldown to the explosive weapons would be best to help this. Cooldown especially.

Maybe also have players skill be more disguised? The reason they attacked you is because they knew who and where you are. If they didn't know you were that good they wouldn't attack you. Maybe we should entirely remove wallet from scoreboard.

17. counter

counter Moderator Staff Member Server Moderator Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    co#2858
    I don't think wallet has to do with anything about the player being good. If I were them, I'd pretty much look at their rank and level. (like any other player would)

18. Dawson

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    Implementing a cooldown would feel weird, in all honesty. As stated above, we ought to do something about visual cues that trigger prople into insatiably dog piling on people by level.

If we were to make tweaks to explosions, I'm in favor for reduced damage and smaller blast radii. As shown in my weapon spreadsheet, launcher weapons could woek so as long as total damage is spread out as much as possible across reserve ammunition.

19. Decap

Decap Super Radman

Having your wallet displayed doesn't help anything, same could be said about rank as well. Maybe removing them from the scoreboard could be a start and see if that keeps people from jumping on one person. If not, after that would could look into the cooldown.

@Dawson at best maybe a smaller radius, but I wouldn't want to nerf the rocket launcher to much. The launcher isn't the problem here per say. We just need people to not all gang up on one person as much as they do.

20. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Veteran Member Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    As stated I think it'd be nice to allow players to toggle their level and or money from players to prevent targeting or harassment for donations. Players who toggle it off would still have their money and level visible to jr. mod+

• Agree Agree x 4