Bringing Slack To Public Use [SUGGESTION]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wolfgang, Jul 19, 2016.

?

Your Opinion On The Matter?

1. I believe the public should have some form of access to slack

2. I believe we should keep slack exclusively for staff

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Veteran Member Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Listen, one of the most commonly used sayings to applicants and other members interested in the community is "Download Teampseak, we're all on there at least once a day." This may have been true in the past but today it's far from it. Whenever I hop on TS I see at most one staff member on it, and it's usually Wolf. Sometimes you'll get lucky and maybe Counter will hop on. What I remember most from being staff is that we, for the most part, were always on slack.

My suggestion:

• Create a thread where members can request to be invited (This way we prevent trolls from getting on and staff still gets to choose whether or not they want a member on)
    • Only open one channel up to the members, such as the Lobby (Maybe even a VIP section)
    • Restrict all commands from members and assign someone to moderate the members
    I'm not sure if you guys have already discussed this privately, but without slack it's hard to tell;)

2. counter

counter Moderator Staff Member Server Moderator Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    co#2858
    I'm abit edgy on this one because if we open slack to the public, forums would be dead.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Wolfgang

Server:
    Flood
    In some ways I do agree, but at the same time I'm finding it really hard to communicate with some of the staff. Even the debs rarely come on the forums.

4. counter

counter Moderator Staff Member Server Moderator Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    co#2858
    We're thinking about creating another team that differentiates from ours. (Current one is for private talking and whatnot)

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Decap

Decap Super Radman

No, absolutely not. We use slack exclusively to speak between staff when we otherwise could not do so which is especially useful since we can do so on our phones. I'm not going to have it so that any Tom Dick or Harry is going to be blowing me up with messages on Slack since I get notified on my phone, I already get enough messages on the forums. Also we have a 10,000 message limit since we are using the free version. Opening it up to the public would blow through that way quicker than we already do. Reaching the message limit starts to prune messages from all channels, private or not. If we did this the forums would die off and all of the messages on slack would be completely unorganized. We already had this discussion privately not to long ago and we decided not to do it.

6. Wolfgang

Server:
    Flood
    Understood

• Like Like x 1
  7. Logster

Logster Logest Of All Logs Silver VIP

This is actually in my oppinion a horible idea. Slack is something for staff ONLY. its there so staff can talk about applications and Confidential matters. Even if there were only selected people i belive the staff team should be the only one to have the thread

8. Decap

Decap Super Radman

Also remember we have to invite everyone individually by email, no one wants to do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.