1. Hello Guest, if you need help, wish to post feedback regarding our community/servers/staff or report game-breaking bugs, you're free to do so here.
    Dismiss Notice

Client crashes due to too many decals?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Support' started by Lc50, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Lc50

Lc50 Definitely a sunflower Contributor Bronze VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Lc50#2500
    I've been playing on a server for a while and I've noticed that there are somewhat-major issues happening related to decals. Every time when there are more than 10 people and some of them have tiki+grenades+bazooka+new mp5 grenades, about half of the server might crashes with an error message
    -Error Message-
    too many indices for index buffer. . tell a programmer (62628>32768)

It happened before but less it wasn't as frequent as it is now. I've crashed 7 times within a week since summer event was launched.
    My theory on why it is happening is that sticky TNT and bazooka create waaaay too many particles on its own, but beside that there are mp5's fancy grenade explosions and tiki spamming 3 tracers per shot+huge decals on walls. You might want to try and replicate the issue with 5-6 people spamming sticky TNT and bazooka at a pile of props from each player spawned.
    I've uploaded 7 crash reports and DxDiag.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Noriaki Cocaine

Noriaki Cocaine Devine Member

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    exotranc#3653
    While the other points you brought up may have something to do with the player crashes, I don't think decals have any significance in it. Decals are clientside and are also capped at different amounts for different players based on how much their system can handle. Also, if you think that the decals indeed have something to do with it, bind a key to r_cleardecals and be consistently pressing it during the battle phase. Otherwise, explosives do seem to be the culprit here.

3. counter

counter Moderator Staff Member Server Moderator Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    co#2858
    Considering that many people on the server are having this same issue at once, I think it's beyond than just using the cleardecals command. Should consider removing the particles on the tiki gun as well like you've mentioned, which is fairly easy to change on my side. I don't think it's necessary anyways since you can barely see the particles and beer splatter on the wall.

For the TNT, should be changed as well since the quality of it looks too good and convincing to be more than one line of code (seeing a lot of those little sparkles with the explosion) than just your average explosive such as the grenade

But yes I do think we should test this out with a considerable number of people to make sure that it indeed is the overwhelming amount of particles that causes people's games to hang

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  4. counter

counter Moderator Staff Member Server Moderator Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    co#2858
    We have removed the antlion sprays and splatters on the Tiki gun in attempt to fix the issue, let us know if this still persists. Will probably appear next update

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  5. Lc50

Lc50 Definitely a sunflower Contributor Bronze VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Lc50#2500
    Still happening. No idea why its there, but I dont remember anyone using flamethrower.