Got a bonus from work, time for a new PC

Discussion in 'Gaming + Technology' started by Decap, Oct 26, 2016.

1. FrozenHumanity

FrozenHumanity Member Gold VIP

I didn't know they made a new i5 with such a low clock speed. In the future I would upgrade that first.

2. Decap

Decap Super Radman

It was kind of an O shit moment actually. When I was buying the parts, I had about 15 tabs open. I guess I had the 6400 opened up and thought it was the 6500, bought it, and didn't realize til it was way to late to cancel. I looked up benchmarks and while the 6500 does outperform the 6400 by a good margin, it wasn't enough for me to want to ship it back and wait probably 2 weeks for the right one to arrive. So I just stuck with the 6400 for now.

But the build is about 90% complete. Most of it is put together and I've got most of my drivers and initial software installed. @Bayrock I didn't need any extra tools. Had a screwdriver set and that's all I needed. It was much easier than I thought, but it was time consuming, around 3 hours build time and I'm still not done. I need to order some case fan wire splitters because I didn't have enough ports on the motherboard for 6 fans. The case also had a nice feature of a HDD/SSD port on the top of the case. Unfortunately it was DOA and I can't even use the sata cable because it feels like it's hardwired into the port and I can't get it out. I only have 3 sata cables, one went to the optical drive, one to the SSD, and one to the HDD. But since the sata was used and I couldn't remove, I had to leave out the HDD for now and installed windows and everything on the SSD for now til I get a new cable. Also there's the small issue of cable management. While I did push cords through the holes for cable management, I did it quickly without much thought on how it all goes in there and fits. I didn't get a modular power supply either, so I've got a lot of power cables taking up space.

All and all I love it, the SSD is incredibly fast, boots to windows home screen in less than 15 seconds. Some of the games I've tried out and playing in a gorgeous 1080p 60fps+. Ready to load up some games I haven't been able to play yet.

• Like Like x 1
  3. IM SHOCKED

IM SHOCKED Member

I agree with Counter, use the Corsair H100i v2, its what i have and im able to overclock my i7-6700k to about 4.8 ghz while gaming. I also dont know if having a SSD for a $600 is a good idea... you could get a 3tb or a 4TB hard drive for the money your spending on storage all together, including what your spending on the 1TB. I also suggest investing into at least 12 gigs of ram, but of course what i am saying is all up to you to decide.