Major Idea "Let's Make Flood Great Again"

Discussion in 'Garry's Mod: Flood' started by Snowstorm, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member Contributor

Server:
    Flood
    Greetings all regular players, staff members and just passersby. We all know and understand the issue of the Flood gamemode: the players aren't really interested in playing for longer than an hour a day, some go as far as quitting entirely. It is a certainly a cool gamemode to play, but due to it's nature of being a circle of rounds with nothing new and even despite the existence of events, it is still very much the same every round. It becomes extremely boring if you also managed to grind the skins you wanted and own every weapon that is available in the store.
    After thinking about how Flood can be changed into something better and giving a reason to stay for players for extensive periods of time without changing general concept of the gamemode, I've found a few solutions to those issues. In general, I want to do 2 major changes to the gamemode that will be interveined with each other and will give more freedom to the developers in regards of adding new content.
    Limiting system for all weapons
    The general idea behind this change is to re-make the player's arsenal entirely and put limits for each weapon category. Let's look at an example how it would work: you have bought 6 rifles, but you can take only 4 into the fight, you have 4 shotguns yet you can take only 2. "Why?" - you would ask, you could just use all the weapons at once and do whatever you want. If you look more into this suggestion, you will find some benefits to this change:
    • I think the most obvious one is that you are getting rid of weapons you don't like, as well as decreasing time between switching the weapons in the weapons menu. Counter has to look through tons of weapons to find those that could be fun and bring new gameplay and replace the old weapons with those and make a poll whether he should replace X weapon for an Y or make it a new one. For an example, he made a poll regarding AWP, SG550 and G2 Contender replacements. We want more content on the server, but we also don't want to throw away the old stuff too, it's not so bad after all. We can add more weapons of the categories that are heavily outnumbered by others, utiltities for an example explosive weapons or shotguns. It might as well prevent or at very least make lags less than a major issue at the beginning of a new round when a ton of weapons is given away to each player at the start of fighting phase.
    • The second and the least obvious: personalization. It might be funny to some degree, but player will feel a bit better when he can choose not just his skins, but also his personal loadout and even playstyle and that will make him more unique. It is confirmed by many other games, TF2 for an example. Do you want to RUSH B? Take flamethrower, TNT, Ak, grenades and burn your foes with your anger and might. Would you like to play passive and camp somewhere in a corner? Take sniper rifles, assault rifles with good accuracy, bow and whatever you want for long-range combat.
    This system keeps the wide variety of weapons and just adding limitations for what you can carry into battle. And therefore it doesn't change the weapon usage concept, but it can be improved by your feedback:
    • Reclassified (current) weapons and (undeteremined) limits for each weapon class:
    Handguns, limit 2-3: Glock, Fiveseven, Deagles, Magnum.
    Submachine guns, limit 2-3: Mp5, ump45, Tmp
    Rifles, limit 3-6: Galil, G36, L85, Ak47, Scar, Gol magnum, SG550, AWP, Lightning Rail
    Shotguns, limit 1-2: Super Shotgun, SPAS, M4
    Machine guns, limit 1-2: Minimi Para
    Explosives, limit 2: Bazooka, TNT, Grenade, Molotov
    Melee, limit 2-3: Hammer, fists, Toyhammer, Crowbar
    Utilities, limit 3-4: Water baloons, Healing stick, Bug bait, Fire ex., Harpoon, Predator missle.
    Special, limit 2: Golden gun, Bow, Eviscerator, Flamethrower.
    Event guns, limit 2-3: Plasma gun, SC AR, SC SR, Laser minigun, Wunderwaffle, Tiki.
    EXP system
    The other part of the update will include a highly anticipated EXPERIENCE update that would work best with this new weapon system. I'm going to be more laconic here since it doesn't really have major flaws to the general theory of leveling up with the new system, it should add more goals for the player. The new level cap will be at 100 levels, after every 5th level the player would get a reward: it can be cash, tokens, a hat, a skin, access to a certain ̶~̶~̶s̶c̶i̶e̶n̶t̶i̶f̶i̶c̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶l̶g̶u̶n̶~̶~̶ weapon, color of the nickname in chat and etc. About the weapons access: most of the weapons that is currently available will be purchasable from level 0, so the update will mostly affect weapons that are yet to be added. They are going to be just slightly better in combat than the default ones so they aren't going to be TOO OP PLZ NERF. Thanks to the new weapon limit system the current weapon pool could become at least twice bigger and add the tools for mutually assured destruction into the leveling list. The experience given to your at the end of every round will be given by multiple factors: damage dealt, time you have been alive and etc. For an average player it wil take 3-4 days to achieve level 100, 2-3 days for an experienced player. Also the PRESTIGE system will be added for balance purposes and more opportunities to add new stuff into the experience system.
    Our beloved developer Donkie has approved the general concept behind the update and agreed to develop its features, so I will be making a general plan for it and doing calculations. I'm going more than happy to help you with your questions and also I'd like to hear your thoughts on it in #flood_suggestions. A well-made plan will be published for players, a more detailed technical plan will be sent to developers only after approval by majority of the staff.

Special Thanks to LC for helping me with translating so you guys can understand my suggestion much more properly :heart:.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Donkie

Donkie Founder & Senior Developer Platinum VIP

Discord:
    Donkie#2878
    So snowstorm approached me with this idea few days ago and I told him to discuss these ideas with people and fine tune it. I think the general concept is what we're looking for, but it's a matter of ironing out the details, and that's where the rest of the community comes in. Details include for example; exact max level, what should prestige entail, what benefits do you get from prestiging? Prestiging should always contain a major drawback since you go down to level 0 again, what would the drawback be? Etc etc etc.

Let's iron this shit out entirely, make a concrete plan and with that on my table, coding it will be 100x easier. Remember that like 50% of my title as a developer is just figuring out how stuff should work (game design), the other 50% is actually programming it. You guys can help me with the first 50%.

I personally believe that the limiting system you outlined here allow for too many weapons. People shouldn't need more to pick more than ~8 weapon for a upcoming round in my opinion.

3. †Zzoppa†

†Zzoppa† Lolist Contributor Silver VIP Bronze VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Zzoppa #1148
    What about adding patterns to switch between? Patterns of skins, weapons, favorite props. It would be possible to quickly switch between them, so as not to waste too much time. I, for example, have many different skins, between which I switch, but it takes a lot of time to change them each time, but with ready-made patterns, i can do this in a few clicks.

4. Snowstorm

Server:
    Flood
    I probably have the same point. But when I was thinking about limits I tried to not go far from the current wep. loadout concept that we already have where the player allowed to bring in the combat big amount of weapons. And also Flood is like an arcade gamemode, right?
    Just wasn't sure if it's good idea to force the player to choose 7-10 weps and utilites from all the things. Since most of players when they coming to our server don't even know about the weapon list till they reach ~40-50lvl :D

5. Rick

Rick female nipple Gold VIP

I personally think that we should limit a lot more of the weapons. If players already have them they should keep them but perhaps future players should only be able to get them after reaching certain levels. I wasn't thinking all of them but putting 1/3 or so of the existing ones behind a level cap would be cool.

I also wouldn't mind those level rewards being free, the flood economy is already a pain and I (assume) that players would have to pay an amount of money to prestige.

6. Snowstorm

Server:
    Flood
    The simple solution - just refund all the weapons for every each player back. Every player should have the same restrictions after the update. Experienced players will just keep their money and skins.