More perks for VIPs in-game?

Discussion in 'Garry's Mod: Flood' started by SilverMario, Jun 4, 2017.

1. SilverMario

SilverMario Golden

I had a couple thoughts of implimenting a couple of new perks for flood VIPs, here's my ideas

1) Flood players gain 10% more cash when gaining cash and lose 10% less cash when losing cash. For example: A player wins and gains $4000, being a VIP the player gains $4400. A player loses $2000, being a VIP the play only loses $1800.

2) Players are given a special prop or two. Nothing like pay two win just something cosmetic like placing a big gold vip sign on their boat that has like 1 hp and weights nothing.

3) Players get a token or few every couple of hours of gametime they obtain. Players like skins because skins = wins. Also they could gain rights to reskins of the crowbar if you added reskins for it.

2. counter

counter Moderator Staff Member Server Moderator Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    co#2858
    Most of these sharpshooters has already implemented and is a bad practice to get donations. (especially 1)

I believe we need more benefits cosmetic-wise that doesn't give VIPs gameplay advantages over regulars. Famas + Healing Stick is good enough imo

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Veteran Member Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    My opinion:

1) This would be alright, I just think we can't go overboard less VIPs would just start dominating everything. 10% sounds good

2) Don't see the point of this since they already have flashy shit like balloons, lamps, lights, and flags (and most rarely use those)

3)token thing would be cool too but I think they shouldn't being getting the 10% cash increase then (because they'd be able to sell tokens too) and end up making too much of a profit, so we'd have to decide which one to choose.

Probably best to wait for Donk to actually finish doing the skins before worrying about dishing them out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dawson

Dawson Veteran Member Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    I have to agree with Counter....

Any further benefits that influence gameplay should be avoided, since they'd likely create disdain amongst peers -- the "haves" and "have-nots." We made the mistake to render the Clairon and Healing Stick as VIP exclusives several years ago, but thank Lord no major repercussions have come from it.

Meh. Not a fan on the idea of introducing content that would likely see seldom use. Not only that, but the content would definitely not see optimal use for other purposes. Every byte that players need to download from the content packs should matter. With regards to this, for example, we recently decide to open up the once-exclusive holiday player models so that they can be purchased whenever players see fit, although they're more expensive when 'out of season.'

First and foremost: we are not anywhere close to begin considering alternative skins for weapons. There is still much to do with optimization of existing assets prior to taking up bucket list items. Also, we shouldn't be inclined to coddle VIPs with benefits that make everything easier for them. This concept also faces potential probability of being exploited via sitting out rounds and/or idling.

None of these considerations would be wise to follow through with, if you want my genuine opinion.

SSG had made the fatal mistake of bestowing game-influencing perks to its VIPs (i.e., extra duplicator spaces, larger prop limits), effectively unsettling the evenness of the playing field. Once you implement mechanics like that -- whether they're for build phases, fight phases, or both -- there's no going back.

The safest route to take regarding the improvement of VIP packages would be to focus on adding cosmetics and possible expansion of permissions for other services.

5. jeffreythe00

jeffreythe00 Dreamer

I wanna start off by saying that these are great ideas and I really do like them. However I have a few issues with them that would need to be addressed.

1) I would love to see people get a cash boost and lose less. Unfortunately, thats not really fair to non-vip's. What it actually does is make the game easier by a large margin.

2) Thats entirely possible, I'm sure if anyone has any ideas about special props it would be @Dawson. Also, if you had something in mind, let me know :).

3) This is a great idea, unfortunately people can convert tokens into "cash" and that will lead to "Hey bro, you want my next 30 tokens, I have all skins" or just people who "afk". However, this idea can still work if we added a new form of currency for the store which wouldn't be tradeable.

6. SilverMario

SilverMario Golden

How unfair is like 5% or 10% more? After you own every weapon it's not unfair anymore. It's like saying Decap having 5 million cash is unfair for everyone else. Really it would just help you gain cosmetics easier. And I am not saying skins for guns, just the crowbar. Melee skins are easy to implement and are extremely cool. It's just a little perk vips would love.

7. The Gaming Bean

The Gaming Bean Dedicated Member

I feel like if 1 or 3 gets implemented that could scare away people as it seems more of a "pay to win" set up. Number 2 is fine, not really needed but could be cool.

8. jeffreythe00

jeffreythe00 Dreamer

@SilverMario you get flood cash for buying VIP. Adding an additional % to your overall cash earned is "over the top" IMO. It also adds inflation to the economy. When people starting earning more cash than they can spend, they just give it away. Which in turn allows non-VIP people to benefit from VIP perks. I also don't think cash earned needs any more adjustment than it already gives.

If earning cosmetics is the ultimate goal, we would be better off looking at adjusting cosmetic prices.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dawson

Dawson Veteran Member Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933

True. The way that certain cosmetic items are priced and how set pieces need to be bought separately is botched. Quality adjustments would need to be performed to make it more bearable to 'grind'/get the stuff people would want.

10. SilverMario

SilverMario Golden

I think tokens are dumb and should just be replaced with cash.

Like do the conversion.

Why does something cost 20 tokens when it could just cost $40000 instead? People just convert cash and coins lol

11. FrozenHumanity

FrozenHumanity Member Gold VIP

I'm against giving the VIPs anything more than what they already have. Having the option to "donate" to a game server for perks that the average user isn't able to obtain is stupid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. jeffreythe00

jeffreythe00 Dreamer

Tokens were never supposed to have a cash value. I intended them to be a "reward for playing" on our servers, so that we can have skins and weapons exclusive to veteran players. So I agree with you on this one.

13. Bayrock

Bayrock Founder & Developer Staff Member Founder

Discord:
    Bayrock#2940
    They're two different currencies, and tokens don't convert to cash at a 1:1 ratio.

14. SilverMario

SilverMario Golden

Yeah but I don't think you see my point. What's the point of tokens?

If a player model costs 20 tokens, why not just have the player pay $40000 instead? The tokens are pretty useless and just allow people to exploit.

15. Wolfgang

Server:
    Flood
    Because if you sell back the tokens you only get 1/2 of what you spent, and if you sell the PM into tokens you get 1/2 tokens (basically converting a player model back into cash would give you 1/4 of what you spent). We could just make it cash, but tbh players might get more salt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SilverMario

SilverMario Golden

Or...you could just transfer everything to cash since who actually transfers token into cash once you bought all weapons? It's a useless currency and there's not point. If you want players to sell player models for 1/4 of what they paid just change it then.

I really don't see the point of having 2 currencies.

17. Wolfgang

Server:
    Flood
    For some reason they didn't want players to be able to buy cash directly I guess (note that by changing to one currency we'd have to factor in how much money would cost which is a waste of time). Also if I buy a player model for $400000 and sell it for $100000 I'd be pissed, taking tokens out is like taking out a stair in a devinity-fiscal-type staircase.

• Agree Agree x 1