Idea Optional Tutorial

Discussion in 'Garry's Mod: Flood' started by Bubblycone90, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubblycone90

Bubblycone90 Member

When I first joined, I kept losing without a fight to the other players and didn't want to play after a couple of matches. To prevent this from turning away new players, I believe we should implement an optional tutorial that players can choose to do.

It should include:
    -Controls
    -How to smart weld
    -Detailed description on how to use the physics gun
    -Detailed description of all menu tabs (such as teams, store, weapons, and props etc.)
    -Detailed description of what goes on during each phase of the flood game mode

This is a very undeveloped idea and is very open to suggestions/criticism. Thanks you.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Seth

Seth That Guy Platinum VIP Gold VIP

I believe that this idea would make it so less players left our servers and would help people who have been playing for a while aswell! I suggest that we add small rewards, like amounts of in game cash for completing the tutorials successfully, that way people would be encouraged to do the tutorials, even if just for an in game boost! I would also suggest that the cash reward for different tutorials be different, for instance;

-for completing the Controls tutorial you receive $1000
    -for completing the smart weld tutorial you receive $1500
    -for completing the physics gun tutorial you receive $2000
    -for completing the Menu Tabs tutorial you receive $750
    -for completing the Phase tutorial you receive $500

Or, if we were going to put up one reward for completing all of them we should make it $5000.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. counter

counter Moderator Staff Member Server Moderator Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    co#2858
    I dont like having rewards for completing tutorials.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. jeffreythe00

jeffreythe00 Dreamer

New players already get rewarded with $25,000 cash upon first joining. Take 5000 from that and add it to the tutorial and then you're "technically" not rewarding those players, rather giving them the incentive to learn/make an extra $5000.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Seth

That's why we would make the rewards not that much, we could lower it even more if you wanted, but I still believe it should exist.

Jeffrey, although I do agree that your idea would work, I still believe it should have it's own separate reward apart from the $25,000

Say we made the reward for doing all of the tutorials $2500, and that was the first thing someone did when they joined, so they start with $27,500, not even enough to buy the Rocket Launcher or the Golden Gun, I think we should do that.

6. jeffreythe00

jeffreythe00 Dreamer

^ No worries. Just trying to come up with other options other than "Tutorial with rewards or not"

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Veteran Member Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Why not just put a tutorial video in the motd..., players can always type !motd if they want to go back and view it. Plus this would be a lot easier for it wouldn't require debs. Just @CounterCraftz to bandicam or something and edit the thread...

8. Bubblycone90

Bubblycone90 Member

I like the idea of a video in the motd, but I believe that there should also be an option to play a tutorial, it could make things easier for new players, for instance in the tutorial the player might not have to deal with a stressful time limit among other things. Players could also work out any glitches or complications they have during the tutorial as opposed to doing it on the wild server.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ArrayZ_LSD

ArrayZ_LSD Bounty Hunter Platinum VIP

Instead of money for completing tutorials, have an achievement. Something like 'Swift Learner'.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Seth

I would be fine with using this as an alternative for cash! Thank you for this suggestion.

11. Expanix

Expanix Community Member

I love the idea! When I started playing Flood, I almost left the server beacause I had no idea how to build a boat!

12. Legacy™

Legacy™ Dedicated Member

I can make a tutorial video if needed!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Expanix

Expanix Community Member

A tutorial video is not a good idea in my point of view. Whan we should do is like a step by step tutorial to help people build his first boat.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Bubblycone90

Bubblycone90 Member

I agree I believe that it would allow them to get more knowledge of how to play the game than if they were to watch a video of how to play.

15. Dawson

Dawson Veteran Member Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    Instead of money handouts we could award players with a simple accessory item like a hat or mask.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Legacy™

Legacy™ Dedicated Member

What if people have to do the tutorial to unlock a certain weapon like a starter rifle or something that's free after you complete the tutorial. Similar to how you get the compound bow.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Derfboy the fish

Derfboy the fish Dedicated Member

Honestly when I join servers and there is a tutorial of any kind I just leave. Now if it was not mandatory fine, but does that mean it will always pop up when you join the server if you choose not to watch it? As for the !motd video idea, I think this is the best idea but lets be honest, who actually does !motd when they first join a server? Now obviously some people do but I feel like the majority do not.

18. Seth

I also feel like the majority of people do not do !motd when they first join.

For my 1460 hours on gmod I have not once encountered any server with a tutorial, just putting that out there, as to say they are not very common.

Something already pops up showing the rules and joining the steam group for 10 tokens, I believe putting the tutorial somewhere in there would not hurt very much.

If we're not having it pop up at the very beggining, there should be an automatic message that pops up about it like the other already existing periodic messages, although I would rather not have that because people may never see it, it would then become yet another question staff are constantly asked, I already have so many keys binded, doing that would just be ridiculous.

I do not believe the video idea is good, as said before it would be a much better learning experience for anyone who played the playable tutorial, although it is true some people may NOT want to play the tutorial and will then just skip out, so I believe we should use both or just the playable one.

Also, when you first join this gamemode and know absolutely nothing, a tutorial would have been like a gift from god, because no one answered my endless questions and they had a right not to, it would've tooken lots of extra time to show me how and tell me how to do lots of things.

Overall, I think the tutorial idea would rake in HUGE amounts of players and should definitely be added. It will also save staff lots of trouble.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Bubblycone90

Bubblycone90 Member

I believe that it should pop up under the message for the steam group. Also I think that for completing the tutorial maybe they should get 5 tokens.

20. Legacy™

Legacy™ Dedicated Member

It should be something like this , when a player joins a server for the first time they should get a box which says "Welcome to Devinity Flood , Would you like to view a tutorial on how to play? Yes or No , you can always type !tutorial if you would like to view it again."

Something like that wouls pop up on first join , maybe having an auto-message in chat saying "Need a hand? Type !tutorial if you would like to learn the basics of this gamemode!"

Honestly when I first joined flood I didn't have any trouble learning how to play.It's a very basic gamemode , if you have sandbox knowledge then you'll be fine.I'm going to make a video and just link it to new players if they are having any trouble.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.