Suggestion of IP Bans / Checks Commands

Discussion in 'Garry's Mod: Flood' started by IceSeasons, Jan 18, 2016.

?

Do you agree with this idea?

1. Strongly Agree

50.0%
  2. Agree

50.0%
  3. Disagree

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Strongly Disagree

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceSeasons

IceSeasons Dedicated Member

Recently, there has been a surge of players ban evading their offences (Kool Kid 2002 and BUFFAL0) and there is very little tools available to the current staff administration in dealing with that. Players who have been convicted of their crimes can simply go to another alternative account to continue their menace in the servers or create a new Steam account whenever possible. This is problematic since it clearly makes staff moderation harder as we are unable to detect previous and current offenders and that most of them usually escape scot-free. Hence, in order to discourage ban evasion and provide staff members with the appropriate tools to deal with a situation, I suggest the implementation of IP bans and checks within the servers to crack down on recurrent offenders.

The purpose of instilling an IP ban and check command in the server is to help staff members identify offenders who have evaded their bans and make ban evasion way more harder for them. You will need to change your IP temporarily (by moving to another wireless network, which many households only have one) or have a Virtual Private Network (VPN) which is pretty troublesome to some offenders and may not be legal in their country. While this idea may not be foolproof and there will always be some offenders who can change their IPs simultaneously, I feel that the implementation of this idea will surely eliminate majority of the ban evaders and instil order within the community.

/ipcheck (name) -- Shows IP of user and all accounts associated with the IP
    /ipban (name) (duration) (reason) -- Bans IP for x minutes, reason may or may not be required.
    /xban (name) (duration) (reason) -- Bans both user and IP for x minutes, reason needed.

I would highly suggest that this command should be available to Jr. Mods+. While the 60 minutes ban limit will still be imposed on them, Jr Mods should have the permissions to ban a player's IP, especially when they are given ban commands in the first place.

Anyway, I appeal to you that this suggestion is a necessity if we were to fight hard on rule breakers. We don't have much tools here to stop ban evaders, and a simple command can simply do the trick for this.

OFFTOPIC:
    I am not too sure whether is it actually possible to extract IPs from the users though (especially from GMod). The console does show one's IP but I haven't really played with it yet. :p

EDIT:
    Just realised that @CounterCraftz have also proposed a similar idea earlier just now. Credits should also go to him as well. :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  2. Roflcopter Rogers

Roflcopter Rogers Least From The East Platinum VIP

I think that it should "pop up" in the chat, because for many cases, like myself, my sibling also plays on the server. Now, I can tell him all the rules I want to, but I cannot control him.

3. counter

counter Moderator Staff Member Server Moderator Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    co#2858
    I don't believe Staff should be able to see anyone's IP Address exception for @Donkie and @Bayrock. I think the ban system should be reworked on as to avoid joining Devinity services with alternative account. (including its commands and the cp)

Just a tip, there is a way to get people's IP Addresses but I highly don't recommend it.

4. Donkie

Donkie Founder & Senior Developer Platinum VIP

Discord:
    Donkie#2878
    I'll implement a command that'll let you see steamids joined on same ip as input steamid. Nothing more.

IP's aren't personal and they shouldn't be treated as such.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.