We should make all props free.

Discussion in 'Garry's Mod: Flood' started by jeffreythe00, Feb 20, 2017.

?

Should we make all props free

1. Yes

28.6%
  2. No

71.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffreythe00

jeffreythe00 Dreamer

Hello friends!

We're aware that our current monetary system sucks. So here's my proposal on how we can potentially fix it and re-balance flood in the process. The idea is to remove the cost of all props. It sounds crazy but, I assure you there are many benefits to it.

Pros
    • Removes the need to money manage - Less confusing to new players
    • Easier for us to balance the economy - Adds some linearity to the economy calculations
    • Makes for more creative and innovative building - Players can build whatever they want without fear going broke

Cons
    • Significant wealth gain - Can be easily fixed by capping cash earned
    • Removes the need to money manage - Less difficult for veteran players
    • Increased CPU usage - More lag

I am always glad to hear feedback about this and elaborate further on specific details and how they would function after the change and, how we can fix potential issues.

Thanks,
    ~Jeff

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jeffreythe00

jeffreythe00 Dreamer

3. RedRazor

RedRazor Active Member

I like the idea all tho there will be use ALOT OF LAG like you said but the games will last for ever because there will be the raft and one ton blocks and new players with the USP will do 3 damage to 1000 damage block I don't think it will help new players as much as it will destroy them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jeffreythe00

jeffreythe00 Dreamer

I really don't think the lag will be much worse than what it is now. People already use a lot of props. I usually buy "as many" props as I can when I play with a team. As it maximizes the chances you win. As a solo player, a lower profile helps maximize profit.

Once new players get a few guns, I don't think larger boats will be an issue. Newer players already have it hard now, I don't feel like this would make it any harder. Larger boats will be hit harder and targeted more due to the fact that damage = $. This means that players will have to build some pretty strategic boats. Don't forget, new players are armed with SMG + Grenades too.

I "think" the problem lies in the fact that, other people are not skilled/knowledgeable enough to financially maintain their money by conserving cash when buying props. This causes them to go broke and leave. The origonal welfare check served as a safety net and prevented players from going broke but, we realized that people could abuse it too. So it got removed/patched/ect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. RedRazor

RedRazor Active Member

I agree with the hole no money manage but I really think that there is gonna be "That Boat" and the hole map is gonna be raft 1 ton lockers car ect ect ect and everyone will have max props because? Why not also they may have to change every mode "almost" like teammode allows use of more then one type of prop so 16 rafts for free. And my original argument was that if will be really hard to kill a boat of some sort without golden gun/m249 but you do have many good points. Edit: and I agree it would be cool because people would make creative boats but after awhile that will die out because if you want money you need to go big to win. Edit2: also SMG grenade is good but cant doo 600 damage or 1000 you'd need a team of 4 starters to take down a boat like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rollie

Rollie Devine Member Gold VIP

No way in hell this would be a good idea. Think of all the prop abuse it would cause plus the lag as stated above. If devenity can't handle a server on high pop from lag, it will be 10x worse with free props. If we wanted to increase creativity we should focus on adding props that aren't made for lazy or cheap players.

*lower the prop limit for teams!*

* remove most of the small props with

*difficult hit boxes. It's not creative it's just cheap and lazy.*

It just wouldn't workout. We need to change the game mechanics before we even think about the props.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Veteran Member Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    beyond my other reasons, just simply put people are going to be spawning props for the hell of it with them free they may as well.

so with 28 people on a server I'm not even sure that many props can fit

8. Bayrock

Bayrock Founder & Developer Staff Member Founder

Discord:
    Bayrock#2940
    @Dawson This could be a good topic to bring up the idea you mentioned regarding purchasing props on credit.

9. Dawson

Dawson Veteran Member Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933

It is Donkie's idea, actually––I just really like his take on handling matters. :D According to his advice:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Nyaaa~ ∑:3

Nyaaa~ ∑:3 Old Champion

Tbh, there are more than just a "few" problems in this scenario. Red is kinda right, and its just the "tip" of the iceberg (pun not included). Making props free is a great idea for a new players that want some creativity, yes, but its not Sandbox. Its Flood! A battleground! Meatgrider!
    We dont want "Friendship" here. We want bloodshed!
    There are multiple things that could happen, if ALL of the props would become free to use for everyone and anything:

• A complete shitstorm of props in every corner.
      • 3\4 of the proplist will be unused for centuries. Only most fat and floatable props will be used at all times.
      • Most of the rules will be broken to pieces by other players.
      • Constant moneygain from all sides, defeated and victorious.
      • Inflation (any type of currency will be useless in a blink)
    By doing that, you're removing the most crucial and valuable machanic in ALL games and gamemodes. Earning and Spending money should be difficult by default. Noone should give players mercy at this point. They need to learn! Adapt! Build cheaper props, propper designs, make teams, tactics... The whole gamemode will transform into a Sandbox, and nobody wants that. Im sure of it.

Still, if you think there should be a way to "fix" the problem (which is not even a problem). Here are some of them:

• Give people a small amount of money each time they enter the server (with 24 hour cooldown (an everyday prize\task\target)
    • Some kind of a event-roulette on a building phase, where people can win "some" amount of money at the end of it.
    • "Loan" system, which will give a player needed amount o money, but will drain a small precent of his income at the end of each round, untill his loan is paid fully.
    • Reward players for completing achivements\catching rulebreakers, etc.
    • GAMBLING FFS!

There are lots of ideas. you just need to think of a way to ease the way of bancrupcy for players and teach them how to "save" money. Not waste it.
    As some say: "Give a fish to a hungry person - he'll always come back for more. Teach a hungry person to fish - and he'll be havin' plenty of fish for the rest of his life"

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jeffreythe00

jeffreythe00 Dreamer

This idea isn't going to work. Thread locked.

12. Dawson

Dawson Veteran Member Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    Good Guy Bufo#0933
    What about Donkie's idea of a credit system?

13. counter

counter Moderator Staff Member Server Moderator Platinum VIP

Server:
    Flood
    Discord:
    co#2858
    It's a really good idea but more thought needs to be placed. As @Donkie have said, money shouldn't be required to be able to enjoy the game.

I also want to bring back Bay's idea of having 'prop budgets'.

14. jeffreythe00

jeffreythe00 Dreamer

@Dawson I like Donkies credit idea

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.